Vitiligo or Leucoderma is a skin condition caused by loss of pigment cells of skin called melanocytes. Melanin is a pigment that gives color to the skin. Loss of pigments can lead to vitiligo. The lesions usually occur on face, hands, forearms or feet. 1% of the world’s population suffers from vitiligo and is more marked in dark skin individuals.
Loss of pigment cells can either be localized affecting only few areas of body or may affect unilaterally affecting one half of the body or bilaterally affecting both sides of the body.
What causes Vitiligo?
The exact cause of Vitiligo is not known but it could be
- Conditions as pernicious anemia affecting it
- Thyroid dysfunctions
- Emotional stress can also aggravate the condition.
Is Vitiligo Contagious?
Vitiligo is not contagious. In fact it is not a threat to health but can be a cosmetic concern for many people as it might affect the self-esteem.
Can Vitiligo be treated?
Vitiligo can be completely cured using homeopathic medicines. Homeopathic medicines when selected on the basis of symptoms similarities can help to reduce the patches and can lead to regimentation of the skin. Homeopathic medicines like Arsenic Album, Arsenic Sulf Flav,, Argenticum Nitricum, Calcarea Carb,, Silicea and others are some of the common medicines for vitiligo but proper constitutional medicine when administered along with gives the best results in vitiligo.
A little self care will always be beneficial
- Eat colorful fresh fruits and vegetables to get good amount of antioxidant.
- Eat a diet rich in omega 3 fatty acids
- Avoid eating processed food.
- Drink plenty of water
- Manage stress
- Get good amount of sleep.
- Always wear proper clothing when going out in sun.
- Try to remain in shade during the sunny hours
- Apply sunscreen when going out in sun
- .The exposed area should be protected from harsh chemicals and cleansing agents.